It is believed that George came to London from the Kassel region of Germany sometime in the late 1850s. He married Eliza Johnson in 1862, and according to their marriage certificate they were both living in Saville Place, Lambeth, at the time.
George and his family lived in poor or less desirable parts of London, so he probably brought little or nothing with him from Germany.
[1863, 1864, 1868] Weller's 1868 Map of London shows John Street, Christ Church, running along the east side of Blackfriar's Bridge Station and Goods Depot. At that time the railway depot was on the south bank of the Thames.
 The dwelling at 26 Luard Street was shared with two other families, and 14 people were living under the same roof.
 Farringdon Road Buildings were situated on the east side of Farringdon Rd next to the junction with Bowling Green Lane. Clerkenwell Workhouse was on the other side of Farringdon Road, and behind that was Kemp Place, the home of Sarah Nelhams (Alfred's future wife) at the time of the 1881 census.
 Stanford's 1897 Map of Central London shows Ruby Street running north between the Old Kent Road and the Surrey Canal, skirting the west side of the South Metropolitan Gas Works. Although the canal has since disappeared, the Gas Works is still evident in the satellite image.
 177 Globe Road is given as the address at which George died of a heart attack in 1899. The 1895 Post Office Street Directory shows that there was a confectioner's shop at this address, owned by George Dodd. Why was George Ruppersberg there when he died?